#auto bill of sale
2. Gather the information you ll need
Find out how much it will cost by contacting a vehicle licensing office location .
3. Complete all necessary forms
- Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale Completed by you and the seller.
- Enter sale price This is used to calculate the use tax .
- Enter zero if it s a gift or inheritance.
- Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application Sign it in front of a:
- notary public, or
- licensing agent at an office .
4. Submit your forms and payment
Submit the following to an office :
- Vehicle/Vessel Bill of Sale,
- Vehicle Certificate of Ownership (Title) Application,
- The current vehicle title, and
- Payment contact an office for the exact amount.
If needed, also submit:
- Emissions testing report,
- Affidavit of Loss/Release of Interest, or
- Odometer Disclosure Statement.
Getting your title
How quickly do you want your title?
- You can visit or mail your forms and payment to an office .
- It will take 8 10 weeks to get your title.
If you need it faster than 8 10 weeks:
- You can visit or mail your forms and fees to a Quick Title office * .
- It ll cost $50 plus the title fees.
* Note: Quick titles aren t available for snowmobiles, vehicles or boats reported as stolen, insurance or wrecker-destroyed vehicles and boats, or vehicles with WA Rebuilt on the title.
5. Get new license plates
Since the vehicle has changed ownership, you ll need to get new plates.
There are exceptions Plates don t need to be replaced if:
- You re removing a deceased spouse or domestic partner from the title.
- You got your vehicle from:
- your spouse or domestic partner,
- a family member as a gift or inheritance, or
- a trust in which the registered owner or their immediate family members are the beneficiaries of the trust.
6. Add the vehicle to your License eXpress account
- See when your vehicle s tabs are due.
- Make sure your address is up-to-date.
- Sign-up or update email renewal notices and more.